API 653 - Aboveground Storage Tanks Inspector
Are you qualified to take the API 653 exam?
As outlined in Annex D of the API 653 Aboveground Storage Tanks Standard, the qualification requirements for API 653 applicants are based on the combination of education and experience related to aboveground storage tanks. This experience must have been acquired within the last 10 years while employed by, or under contract with, an authorized inspection agency as defined in API 653.
Prior to submitting an application, please use the table below to determine if you qualify to take the API 653 exam. The minimum experience required MUST be documented on your application.
|Education||Years of Experience||Experience Required|
|BS or higher in engineering or technology||1 year||Supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 653|
|2-year degree or certificate in engineering or technology||2 years||Design, construction, repair, operation, or inspection of aboveground storage tanks, of which one year must be in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 653|
|High school diploma or equivalent||3 years||Design, construction, repair, operation, or inspection of aboveground storage tanks, of which one year must be in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 653|
|No formal education||5 or more years||Design, construction, repair, operation, or inspection of aboveground storage tanks, of which one year must be in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 653|
Questions on the API 653 Aboveground Storage Tanks Inspector Certification exam are derived from the publications listed in the Publications Effectivity Sheet. Only the specific sections of publications that are listed on the Effectivity Sheet will be available to you during the open-book portion of the exam.
API 653 Publications Effectivity Sheet For November 2015 - July 2016 exams
API 653 Publications Effectivity Sheet For November 2016 - July 2017 exams
Refer to the Body of Knowledge for the specific topics included in the API 653 examination.
API 653 Body of Knowledge For November 2015 - July 2016 exams
API 653 Body of Knowledge For November 2016 - July 2017 exams
The API 653 exam day is 8.5 hours long, and includes a short tutorial session, 3 hours for the closed-book portion, a 1-hour lunch break, and 4 hours for the open-book section.
Papers and books are not allowed in Prometric computer testing centers. PDF documents of pertinent codes and standards will be available on your computer during the open book portion of the exam, and will be presented in English (with the exception of Chinese references). The tutorial below will help you navigate through these documents.
View the Tutorial before exam day.
API 510, 570, 653 CBT Tutorial English version
API 510, 570, 653 CBT Tutorial Chinese version
There are 150 questions on the API 653 exam, of which only 125 are scored. The remaining 25 are pretest questions.
Examination Policies & Notifications: Policies
Purchasing Authorized API Publications: API Publications Store
- API 653 Aboveground Storage Tanks inspectors need to apply for recertification every three (3) years. Apply online in the ICP Portal.
- You may apply for recertification 90 days prior to the certification expiration date, and for a 90-day grace period after. Late fees apply after the expiration date.
- If an application is not submitted by the end of the 90-day grace period, the certification will expire. A new application and fees must be submitted, and you will need to pass a full examination in order to be recertified.
- Circumstances such as heavy work schedule or work in other countries or remote areas do not relieve the inspector/examiner of the responsibility to file a timely renewal application.
- Inspectors who have not been actively engaged in aboveground storage tanks inspection practices will be required to take the full examination.
API 653 Recertification Web Quiz
- API 653 Aboveground Storage Tanks inspectors are required to take an on-line, open-book quiz every six years in order to recertify.
- The quiz is available 90 days prior to your expiration date and for a grace period of 90 days after. The quiz will not be available beyond this grace period, or after your certification has expired.
- You may take the quiz either before or after you submit your recertification application.
To take your recertification quiz, or to determine if a quiz is needed for your current certification, log into your account in the ICP Portal. If a web quiz is due, there will be a notification at the top of your 653 certification page with a link that will take you to the quiz. You may also go directly to the Web Quiz Gateway. If a quiz is needed, you will see a notification in bold red stating that a quiz is required.
NOTE: Your Web Quiz log is the same username and password that you use to log into your account in the ICP Portal.
- Each quiz has 25 questions that address the changes in the relevant API codes over the past six years.
- You have a total of four hours to complete the quiz, and it may be paused or interrupted up to three times.
- If you fail the quiz once you will be able to take it again. If you fail the quiz a second time you will not be able to recertify. You will need to submit a new application and take the full version of the exam to certify again.
Please contact Inspector@api.org if you have trouble with your quiz.
The American Petroleum Institute initiated an API 653 Aboveground Storage Tank Inspector Certification Program with the participation of storage tank owners and users. It establishes a uniform national program that assists state and local governments in aboveground storage tank regulations.
The API 653 Aboveground Storage Tank Inspector must have a broad knowledge base relating to tank inspection and repair of aboveground storage tanks, and will satisfy the minimum qualifications specified in API Standard 653, Tank Inspection, Repair, Alteration, and Reconstruction.API 653 certification is valid for a three-year term.