Did You Know? Report: U.S. Tops in Energy Resources
Jane Van Ryan
Posted November 3, 2009
Did you know that the United States has largest energy resources on Earth? You might be surprised to learn that a recent Congressional Research Service (CRS) report found just that.
The United States with its 1,321 billion barrels of oil equivalent (BOE) tops number 2 Russia with 1,248 billion BOE, and number 3 Saudi Arabia with 543 billion BOE.
The report also found that the United States has tapped into only 13 percent of these energy resources, with the other 87 percent still untouched. Sen. James Inhofe (R.-Ok.), along with Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R.-Alaska), who released the report last week said:
"Our overwhelming coal, natural gas, and oil resources represent tens of trillions of dollars in wealth and millions of American jobs. Government policies that unnecessarily restrict or prevent our ability to responsibly produce these domestic resources are threatening, and could eventually undermine, our nation's economic and national security."
About The Author
- Blogger Conference Call - Oil Sands Development and the Keystone XL
- Blogger Conference Call - ExxonMobil Earnings and Taxes
- Blogger Conference Call - Industry Earnings and Public Pension Plan Ownership
- ETR 130 - The Oil and Natural Gas Industry's Contribution to State Pension Plans
- Keystone Pipeline: The Sooner, the Better
- Capping Stack: A Positive Outcome from a Tragic Accident
Stay informed: Sign-up for our weekly newsletter