Drilling is Not an Either-Or Choice
Jane Van Ryan
Posted March 22, 2010
In an editorial titled "Both-And," the newspaper's editors touch on the most important issues that remain to be resolved before Gov. Bob McDonnell can realize his concept of making Virginia the energy capital of the East Coast:
- The Obama administration needs to hold a lease sale offering a designated portion Virginia's offshore area to energy companies for drilling;
- Congress needs to enact legislation to permit revenue sharing from energy development with Virginia; and
- "Ideologues on both the left and right" must move away from the notion that drilling is "an either-or proposition--either we drill offshore, or we pursue renewable alternatives. It's a false choice."
As the editorial explains, "America can both drill offshore and invest in clean energy. Virginia should take the lead down both avenues."
About The Author
- Blogger Conference Call - Oil Sands Development and the Keystone XL
- Blogger Conference Call - ExxonMobil Earnings and Taxes
- Blogger Conference Call - Industry Earnings and Public Pension Plan Ownership
- ETR 130 - The Oil and Natural Gas Industry's Contribution to State Pension Plans
- Keystone Pipeline: The Sooner, the Better
- Capping Stack: A Positive Outcome from a Tragic Accident