Safe, Abundant Energy for America’s Future
Posted April 8, 2015
Oil Industry Says Offshore Response Better, Faster 5 Years After BP Spill
NOLA.com: Five years after the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the oil and gas industry can respond and contain well blowouts offshore faster than ever before, said Don Armijo, CEO of the Marine Well Containment Co. But he said work remains to make sure containment equipment keeps pace with industry's push to drill in deeper waters.
Armijo, who spoke Tuesday (April 7) at a business lunch at The Roosevelt Hotel in downtown New Orleans, said Marine Well Containment Co. has the equipment to respond to oil gushers in up to 10,000 feet of water. The industry will outgrow that equipment, he said.
"We know there has been drilling proposed in areas much deeper than 10,000 feet of water," Armijo said. "That's the big thing. How do we actually get the technology put together so we can be deeper? These are the kind of things that are on our minds all the time."
Read more: http://bit.ly/1PkpDoT
More industry news:
- LTE: Offshore Drilling is Safe and Would Create Nearly a Million New Jobs: http://bsun.md/1IKov90
- ConocoPhillips Bets on Shale in Major U.S. Spending Shift: http://bloom.bg/1DkNcc5
- U.S. Crude Stocks Surge 11 Million Barrels, Biggest Rise Since 2001: http://reut.rs/1HRjRWy
- Saudi’s Naimi Says Ready to Help Improve Oil Prices, But Not Alone: http://reut.rs/1yWoCsD
- Cheniere Cleared to Expand Sabine Pass LNG: http://bit.ly/1O9TFdz
- Commentary: Foes on Opposite Sides Agree – Kick the Ethanol Habit: http://bit.ly/1aKVhML
About The Author
Mark Green joined API after a career in newspaper journalism, including 16 years as national editorial writer for The Oklahoman in the paper’s Washington bureau. Previously, Mark was a reporter, copy editor and sports editor at an assortment of newspapers. He earned his journalism degree from the University of Oklahoma and master’s in journalism and public affairs from American University. He and his wife Pamela have two grown children and four grandchildren.
- U.S. Energy Revolution Rolls On
- Sur de Texas Pipeline Would Advance North American Energy Integration
- U.S. LNG and Cleaner, Healthier Lives Across the Globe
- Supporting the Public Good in Pennsylvania
- Misguided Tariff Policies and Warning Signs for U.S. Economy
- Right Under Our Feet
- safety standards
- safe operations
- offshore energy development
- oil and natural gas
- shale energy
- crude oil
- liquefied natural gas
- renewable fuel standard
Stay informed: Sign-up for our weekly newsletter