API QUSE - Ultrasonic Testing Examiners (Sizing)
Are you qualified to take the API QUSE exam?
The API Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners certification programs (QUTE, QUSE, QUPA, QUSE-PA and QUTE-TM) are open to any applicant with a current or previous certification in ASNT UT Level II, Level III, or equivalent. The minimum experience required MUST be documented on your application.
Candidates will need to successfully complete a performance demonstration examination for their specific program.
- The API QUSE Ultrasonic Testing Examiners (Sizing) certification exam addresses equipment and sizing evaluation techniques for crack height sizing. The designed procedure provides guidelines and techniques for ultrasonic sizing of planar cracks which originate at the opposite side of the scanning surface or the inside diameter. This procedure is applicable to carbon steel material thicknesses from 0.375 inches to 1.0 inches.
- The Advanced Ultrasonic Crack Sizing Procedure document (API-UT-10 below) outlines the requirements for contact methods, using refracted longitudinal wave and shear wave techniques for carbon steel materials. Other methods and techniques may be used when an appropriate sizing calibration block is utilized. Special longitudinal and/or shear wave search units, and special ultrasonic sizing calibration blocks are used for the sizing examinations. These sizing techniques are applicable to manual examinations only.
- The API 510 Pressure Vessel and API 570 Piping inspection codes have been modified to identify certain applications requiring the use of ultrasonic testing shear wave examiners that have passed a performance demonstration.
- For the plate geometry, both single and double Vee welds are included.
- On the 8 and 12 inch pipe geometry, only single Vee welds are included. Approximately 75 linear inches of weld are presented for inspection and documentation.
- The candidate will be expected to detect flaws, position them with respect to the weld, identify and sketch the flaw position within the weld.
It is imperative that you review all documentation below prior to exam day. These documents include information regarding:
- Samples' geometry and presentation
- Testing procedures
- Blank forms for exam day
- Grading criteria
- Required paperwork
- Other frequently asked questions
QUSE Candidate Orientation - A Must Read
API-UT-10 - Defines the recommended methods and techniques for ultrasonic crack sizing.
Exam Report Forms
These are actual forms that will be used during the examination. We strongly encourage you to closely examine these forms in preparation for the examination.QUSE Calibration Data Sheet
QUSE Equipment Inventory List
QUSE Crack Sizing Data Report Form
Examinations for the Ultrasonic Testing Examiners programs are administered using the hands-on, performance demonstration testing method.
The test is conducted over a 1 day, 8-hour period at the San Jacinto College 225 Campus in Pasadena, Texas.
Examination Policies & Notifications: Policies
- The certification term for API Ultrasonic Testing Examiners is three years.
- Full testing is required for recertification every 6 years.
- You may apply for recertification 90 days prior to the certification expiration date. Apply online in the ICP Portal.
- API also allows a 90-day grace period for submitting a recertification application. Late fees will apply.
- If an application is not submitted by the end of the 90-day grace period, the certification will expire. A new application and fees must be submitted, and the candidate must pass a full examination in order to be recertified.
- Circumstances such as heavy work schedule or work in other countries or remote areas do not relieve the inspector/examiner of the responsibility to file a timely renewal application.
The availability of high quality and accurate Ultrasonic Testing (UT) data is often the cornerstone for FFS and RBI decisions, and it is becoming increasingly important for those applications. Therefore in the industry’s best interest, API implemented a Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners certification program to assist in defining the minimum criteria for assessing the performance of UT technicians.
Exams for these programs are administered differently than other ICP certifications. They utilize the hands-on, performance demonstration testing method.
Certifications included in this program are:
- QUTE (Detection)
- QUPA (Phased Array)
- QUSE (Sizing)
- QUSE-PA (Crack Sizing)
- QUTE-TM (Thickness Measurement)
API Ultrasonic Testing Examiners certifications are valid for three-year terms.