API QUTE-TM - Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners (Thickness Measurement)
Are You Qualified To Take The API QUTE-TM Exam?
The API Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners certification programs (QUTE, QUSE, QUPA, QUSE-PA, and QUTE-TM) are open to any applicant that currently holds a Level II or above in one or more of the following: ASNT, CGSB, PCN, or any other ISO 9712 accredited NDE certification. The minimum experience required MUST be documented on your application.
Candidates will need to successfully complete a performance demonstration examination for their specific program.
- The API QUTE-TM Ultrasonic Testing Examiners (Thickness Measurement) certification exam addresses equipment wall loss and other damage mechanisms capable of being detected and monitored by straight beam ultrasonic thickness measurement instrumentation and techniques in carbon steel and other metals from 0.160 inches to 2.00 inches in thickness.
- The Ultrasonic Thickness Measurement Procedure document (API-UT-21 below) outlines the requirements for contact straight beam thickness measurement and flaw characterization using zero-degree longitudinal wave mode techniques for carbon steel and other metal materials. These techniques are applicable to manual (non-encoded) ultrasonic examinations only.
- The API 510 Pressure Vessel and API 570 Piping inspection codes have been modified to identify certain applications requiring the use of ultrasonic examiners that have passed a performance demonstration.
- The candidate will be expected to detect and characterize both inherent and service induced wall loss damage and base metal damage mechanisms for internal, external or embedded material damage mechanisms.
- It is imperative that you review all documentation below prior to exam day. These documents include information regarding:
- Samples' geometry and presentation
- Testing procedures
- Blank forms for exam day
- Grading criteria
- Required paperwork
- Other FAQs
Test Procedures and Exam Report Forms
- API-UT-21: Defines recommended methods and techniques for thickness measurement (English / Portuguese)
- View the forms below that will be used during the exam. API strongly encourages candidates to review these forms in preparation for the QUTE-TM exam:
- Examinations for the Ultrasonic Testing Examiners programs are administered using the hands-on, performance demonstration testing method.
- The test is conducted over a 1 day, 8-hour period at the following locations:
- Proper attire - Please note that both CPET and the Brazil exam center requires all API exam candidates to wear long pants, shirts with sleeves, and closed toe shoes (steel-toed recommended). Also, remember to bring any PPE that may be required by exam-specific guidelines.
- Houston: When you arrive at CPET, park in the front in any spot that is not labeled "Visitor" or "Faculty". Enter through the main entrance of the building (look for the flag poles). Once inside, you will be given a parking permit to place on your dashboard for the duration of your visit.
- Brazil: When you arrive at Bestpark (Avenida Onze de Junho, 1070), request a stamp on receipt at the ABENDI reception to receive a special parking price.
- QUTE-TM Candidate Orientation - English / Portuguese
- The certification term for API Ultrasonic Testing Examiners is three years.
- Full testing is required for recertification every 6 years.
- You may apply for recertification 90 days prior to the certification expiration date. Apply online in the ICP Portal.
- API also allows a 90-day grace period for submitting a recertification application. Late fees will apply.
- If an application is not submitted by the end of the 90-day grace period, the certification will expire. A new application and fees must be submitted, and the candidate must pass a full examination in order to be recertified.
- Circumstances such as heavy work schedule or work in other countries or remote areas do not relieve the inspector/examiner of the responsibility to file a timely renewal application.
The availability of high quality and accurate Ultrasonic Testing (UT) data is often the cornerstone for FFS and RBI decisions, and it is becoming increasingly important for those applications. Therefore in the industry’s best interest, API implemented a Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners certification program to assist in defining the minimum criteria for assessing the performance of UT technicians.
Exams for these programs are administered differently than other ICP certifications. They utilize the hands-on, performance demonstration testing method.
Certifications included in this program are:
- QUTE (Detection)
- QUPA (Phased Array)
- QUSE (Sizing)
- QUSE-PA (Crack Sizing)
- QUTE-TM (Thickness Measurement)
- LSP (Long Seam Pipeline)
API Ultrasonic Testing Examiners certifications are valid for three-year terms.