ANSI/API Recommended Practice 3000
Classifying and Loading of Crude Oil into Rail Tank Cars
FIRST EDITION | SEPTEMBER 2014 | 38 PAGES | $125.00 | PRODUCT NO. A30001
- Provides guidance on the material characterization, transport classification, and quantity measurement for overfill prevention of petroleum crude oil for the loading of rail tank cars.
- Applies only to petroleum crude oil classified as Hazard Class 3—Flammable Liquid under the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) at the time of publication.
- Identifies criteria for determining the frequency of sampling and testing of petroleum crude oil for transport classification. It discusses how to establish a sampling and testing program, and provides an example of such a program.
- Provides guidance on Packing Group (PG) assignment, including the potential effect of heel, and mixing of crude oils of differing PGs. The document provides guidance on initial testing and an ongoing sampling and testing for assignment of PG.
- Provides guidance on determining the loading target quantity (LTQ) of crude oil transported by rail tank car. This includes crude oil temperature and density determination, identification of sampling points based on loading scenarios, and measurement equipment and processes.
- Provides guidance on the documentation of measurement results and record retention is also provided.
To order a hard copy or a subscription:
Online: API Publications Store
Phone: 1-800-854-7179 (Toll-free in the U.S. and Canada)
(+1) 303-397-7956 (Local and International)
Fax: (+1) 303-397-2740
API members receive a 30% discount where applicable.