Process Safety Assessments (PSSAP)
Process Safety Site Assessment Program
As part of the industry’s ongoing commitment to continuous process safety improvements, API, in collaboration with industry partners, has developed a Process Safety Site Assessment Program (PSSAP). This program will primarily involve the assessment of a site’s process safety systems by independent, credible, third party teams of industry-qualified process safety expert assessors.
Through the use of industry developed protocols, the process safety site assessments will evaluate both the quality of the written programs and the effectiveness of field implementation. The following is the list of the process safety areas that will be evaluated:
- Process Safety Leadership
- Management of Change (MOC)
- Mechanical Integrity (focused on fixed equipment)
- Safe Work Procedures
- Operating Practices
- Facility Siting
- Process Hazards Analysis
- HF Alkylation/RP 751
The assessment protocols include a method to score the effectiveness of the implementation of the separate components of the process safety programs. The assessment team will identify observations that the site should consider further as well as practices that the site executes and/or manages well. The assessment final report will not provide written recommendations.
The Process Safety Site Assessment Protocols are not intended to:
- replace or be interpreted as industry standards or recognized and generally accepted good engineering practices;
- provide a definitive, required, and/or prioritized list of site requirements;
- provide a detailed review of OSHA PSM requirements; or
- replace sound engineering judgment of each site on the appropriate steps it should take to ensure safe operation.
The Process Safety Site Assessment Program (PSSAP) will be implemented and managed by the API Global Industry Services (GIS) Department.
API GIS does not assume any liability for how the information is implemented and/or used and each site is responsible for ensuring that its own standards, practices, and procedures comply with all applicable requirements and are appropriately suited for the site specific operating environment.
Inquiries regarding having your site assessed as a part of this program can be made to Andrew Broadbent at email@example.com.