Getting Started in the ICP Portal
If you are new to the ICP Portal, you will either Activate your account or Create a new account.
- If you already have an ICP certification, or have ever applied for ICP certification in the past, then select: Existing ICP Client? Activate account
- If you have never submitted an application with ICP, then select: Brand new user? Create account
For help activating your account, creating an account, logging into your account, or help with submitting an application in the ICP Portal, contact ICPHelpdesk@api.org, or call 877-562-5187.
Apply for Certification
- Prior to applying for API certification, ensure that you qualify to take the exam by reviewing the requirements for your chosen program. Go to Step 1: Programs
- Your next step is to submit your application in the ICP Portal.
- Submit a New application by selecting the Create New Application box found on the Account tab.
- Be prepared to provide contact information for each employer listed who can verify your employment dates, skills and experience.
- It is only necessary to provide employer information for the numbers of years of experience that are needed to qualify.
- All diplomas and transcripts need to be translated into English
- See Policies for information about paying by check or electronic transfer.
- Before submitting an application, please review the qualification requirements for your selected program. The necessary minimum experience MUST be documented on the application. Read the Qualification Requirements
- Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements or do not contain all the necessary information, will be marked as unqualified and API will issue a refund of the application fee minus a $100.00 processing charge. Candidates will then need to submit a new application and pay a full application fee again.
Go Step 3: Examinations
API gives each candidate 12 consecutive months to pass an exam. This 12-month period begins with the first scheduled exam date. You may need to submit a Reschedule Application if any of the events listed below occur within the 12-month period. Reschedule/Retest fees apply.
- if you fail to schedule your computer-based exam on the Prometric website
- if you do not pass the examination
- if you do not show up for the examination
- if you schedule your exam appointment with Prometric and then want to change to a new testing window
To submit a Reschedule application, log into your account in the ICP Portal and select the red Reschedule link to the right of your previous application on the Account page.
Read more about the Examination Policies & Notifications on the Policies page.
- The certification term for all ICP programs is three years.
- Some programs require proof of current qualified employment history, as well as a web quiz. View specific recertification requirements under Programs.
- To recertify, log into your account in the ICP Portal and select the red Recertify link next to your certification program name. This link is visible 90 days prior to and 90 days after your certification expiration date. A late fee will be charged on applications submitted after the certification expiration date.
- If an application is not submitted by the end of the 90-day grace period, your certification will expire. A new application will be required, and you will need to pass the full examination in order to be recertified.
- Circumstances such as heavy work schedule, or work in other countries and remote areas do not relieve the inspector/examiner of the responsibility to file a timely renewal application.
- When paying by check or electronic transfer wire, please see the Policies page.
- If your application is incomplete, you will receive an email specifying the information needed to proceed. You must resolve all deficiencies in order to be recertified.
- API will mail a paper certificate and wallet card within two weeks of recertification.