API 936 - Refractory Personnel
Are you qualified to take the API 936 exam?
The API 936 Refractory Personnel certification is open to applicants with any experience in the petroleum and petrochemical industries, as well as applicants wanting to gain industry experience.
To obtain an API 936 certification, candidates will need to pass the 936 Refractory Personnel examination.
The API 936 Refractory Personnel certification candidate must have knowledge of installation, inspection, testing and repair of refractory linings.
- Quality Control
- Physical Property Requirements
- Inspection Documentation
- Material Qualification Testing
- Applicator Qualification Testing
- As-installed Testing
- Test Specimen Preparation
- Test Procedures
- Post Installation
Questions on the API 936 examination are derived from the publications listed in the Effectivity Sheet. At a minimum, the examination covers the following criteria defined by API STD 936 Refractory Installation Quality Control Guidelines – Inspection and Testing Monolithic Refractory Linings and Materials, as well as other reference materials listed on the program’s Effectivity Sheet.
API 936 Publications Effectivity Sheet For January - August 2018 exams
Refer to the API 936 Body of Knowledge for the specific topics included in the examination.
API 936 Body of Knowledge For January - August 2018 exams
- The API 936 exam is 3.25 hours long.
- There are 75 questions, all multiple-choice and closed-book. Paper and reference materials are not allowed into the examinations.
API 571, 577, 580, 936, TES, SI Computer Based Testing Tutorial, English
API 571, 577, 580, 936, TES, SI Computer Based Testing Tutorial, Chinese
- The certification term for API 936 Refractory Personnel is three years.
- At this time, employment verification is not required to recertify.
- You may apply for recertification 90 days prior to the certification expiration date. Apply online in the ICP Portal.
- API also allows a 90-day grace period for submitting a recertification application. Late fees will apply.
- If an application is not submitted by the end of the 90-day grace period, the certification will expire. A new application and fees must be submitted, and the candidate must pass a full examination in order to be recertified.
- Circumstances such as heavy work schedule or work in other countries or remote areas do not relieve the inspector/examiner of the responsibility to file a timely renewal application.
The API 936 Refractory Personnel certification is designed to identify candidates possessing the knowledge of API STD 936 Refractory Installation Quality Control Guidelines. These are guidelines for the installation quality control of monolithic refractory linings and may be used to supplement owner specifications.
API 936 certification raises the bar of competence for qualified personnel, who must have knowledge of installation, inspection, testing and repair of refractory linings. It provides the industry with a prequalified set of individuals prepared for the job and readily identifies those who are qualified to do the job.
API 936 certification is valid for a three-year term.