Standards Rights and Usage Policy
Intellectual Property Rights and Usage Policy
This Intellectual Property Rights (IP) and Usage Policy sets forth guidelines for requesting permission to use API-copyrighted material.
The IP Rights of API comprise two types of intellectual property: Copyrights and Trademarks.
- Copyrights: ALL RIGHTS RESERVED American Petroleum Institute © 2016. Third parties who wish to use these works must have advance written permission from API. Contact API Standards at 1220 L Street NW, 9th Floor, Washington, DC 20005 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Trademarks: Except as indicated, API owns all trademarks, service marks, certification marks and logos featured on this site including the terms "API" and the American Petroleum Institute. Use of these marks without the express written permission of API is expressly prohibited. For details on licensing the AP Monogram/QR and Training certification, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
All requests for permission must be received in writing. For more information on this process, please visit the Request for Permission page.
Citing API-Copyrighted Material
- Proper citation for API-copyrighted material after permission is granted:
- "Reproduced courtesy of the American Petroleum Institute" or "Reproduced courtesy of the API" must appear under each figure, table and/or section referenced.
- The API publication number, title, edition and publication year must also be included in the citation.
Written permission from API must be granted for incorporation of any API-copyrighted material into external materials. This includes reproductions, translations, retrieval system storage, photocopying, recording and transmissions by electronic or mechanical means.
All requests for permission for use of API-copyrighted material must be submitted to API either through the online form (link below) or in writing. No requests by phone may be accepted. Please complete the form below or email us directly at email@example.com.
- Once API has received all requested information from the requesting party, we will be able to determine whether or not permission will be granted. API will also be able to determine the permission fee that will be implemented, if applicable. Permission fees and other charges will vary depending on use, number of productions, and other factors.
- After all information has been received from the party requesting the use, permission requests typically take approximately 60 days to process; however, if you are working with a specific deadline, please highlight that in your request and API will attempt to meet your needs.
- For those wishing to translate materials or if there are any questions regarding the completion of the Permission Request form or the API permissions process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.