Harnessing U.S. Energy
Posted June 11, 2015
America’s Next Economic Boom Could Be Lying Underground
NPR – There's a serious problem in the American economy: Big corporations are doing well, but real household income for average Americans has been falling over the past decade — down 9 percent, according to census data.
"That's not good for America," says Harvard economist Michael Porter. "That's not good for America's standard of living. That's not good for our ultimate vitality as a nation."
That's why Porter's excited about the deep reserves of natural gas and oil that have been made accessible by hydraulic fracturing technology, or fracking — a boon he examines in detail in a new report.
"It is a game changer," Porter says. "We have estimated that already, this is generating a substantial part of our GDP in America. It's at least as big as the state of Ohio. We've added a whole new major state, top-10 state, to our economy."
Read more: http://bit.ly/1FMg6Qc
- Harvard Business School Report: http://hbs.me/1Gh48QU
- GOP Urges Obama to Flex Executive Power on Oil Exports: http://bit.ly/1MtdVFa
- Why This Shale CEO Isn’t Afraid of OPEC or Low Oil Prices: http://bloom.bg/1IJcvsm
- Blog – Who Are the Flat Earthers Now? http://bit.ly/1S7A27Z
- Six of Top 10 Natural Gas-Producing States Also Among Top 10 in Growth (subscription req’d): http://bit.ly/1B8CF4N
- “America’s Energy” – North Dakota: State’s Energy Embrace Is Transformational: http://bit.ly/1C1dtII
About The Author
Mark Green joined API after a career in newspaper journalism, including 16 years as national editorial writer for The Oklahoman in the paper’s Washington bureau. Mark also was a reporter, copy editor and sports editor. He earned his journalism degree from the University of Oklahoma and master’s in journalism and public affairs from American University. He and his wife Pamela live in Occoquan, Va., where they enjoy their four grandchildren.
- E15 and Boaters: Still at Risk of Being Left High and Not So Dry
- As Hurricane Florence Approaches
- EPA, Smarter Regulation and Lowering Emissions
- Maintaining Perspective on Electric Vehicles
- New Ad: E15 Push Puts Consumers at Risk
- Yes, Let’s Talk About How Industry is Advancing Cybersecurity