Individual Certification Programs
Remote testing is now available for all non-practical ICP exams
Find ways to apply military experience towards an ICP certification
View the Exam window calendar to see when exams are offered and application deadlines
Since 1989, API’s Individual Certification Programs (ICP) have provided the petroleum and petrochemical industries with an independent and unbiased way to evaluate the knowledge and experience of technical and inspection personnel. These certification programs are based on the industry-developed standards that are recognized and used with confidence worldwide.
ICP testing, developed in partnership with industry leaders, confirms that certified inspectors and personnel will demonstrate competence in content areas that are relevant to their practices.
API’s certifications have come to be regarded as the most demanded and desired credentials in the industry. They provide applicants with means to improve their skills through learning and strengthening their overall job performance. API certified inspectors and personnel are recognized worldwide as professionals who are fully knowledgeable of the relevant industry inspection codes and standards, and who are capable of performing their jobs in accordance with the latest and most acceptable industry inspection practices. API 510, 570, and 653 have received the American National Standards Institute's (ANSI) accreditation, further validating API's commitment to develop and deliver world-class programs to support the natural gas and oil industry.
API certification allows qualified personnel to establish a career path and make valuable contributions to the safety and quality of industry operations.
API's individual certification programs benefit the industry by:
- Providing knowledgeable specialized inspectors
- Establishing a minimum standard of knowledge and skill for the personnel
- Providing higher management control of inspection practices
- Increasing employer’s confidence and peace-of-mind
- Helping maintain safety and high level of performance
- Reducing potential for downtime because of equipment failure
Certification Opportunities for Veterans
The Individual Certification Programs at API have been authorized by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs for the Web Enabled Approval Management System (WEAMs). WEAMS is a centralized online database of approved license and certifications which allows active military, veterans and eligible spouses and dependents to receive funding when applying with their GI Bill® benefits.
If you qualify for the GI Bill, you can use a portion of the benefits to reimburse test fees up to $2,000 for a job that requires a certification to work. The $2,000 is the maximum fee allocation for one certification at a time. This allows candidates to apply for reimbursement for multiple certifications separately. To find out more information on how to use these benefits, please visit the VA website.
To find API certifications on the WEAMS database:
- Visit the WEAMS database site
- Type “API” into the L&C Name, choose “Certification” in the LAC Category Type dropdown list, and select “Wash DC” as state from the map.
- The approved API certifications will appear.
- If you cannot locate the API Certification on the WEAMS website, use API Facility Code: 46004009 when applying.
Process for Applying
- Confirm your Eligibility Status for the GI bill with your local VA.
- If you are either on active duty or a veteran, download and complete VA Form 22-1990. Once completed, you will be in the military admin system as approved for benefits. If you are an eligible child or spouse, complete VA Form 22-5490.
- Visit ICP’s website for the certification process and to explore what programs you are qualified for.
- Create an account at Inspector.api.org and submit an application(s) for the ICP certification(s) you would like to pursue.
- Once your ICP application is approved, schedule your exam.
- After you have passed your exam and acquired your certification, please complete the following:
- Download and complete VA Form 22-0803. You must submit this to Veterans Affairs upon receipt of your certification to start the reimbursement process of the ICP Certification.
Eligible ICP Programs for WEAMS
- API 510 – Pressure Vessel Inspector
- API 570 – Piping Inspector
- API 653 – Aboveground Storage Tank Inspector
- API TES - Tank Entry Supervisor
- API 571 – Corrosion and Materials
- API 577 – Welding Inspection and Metallurgy
- API 580 – Risk Based Inspection
- API 936 – Refractory Personnel
- API 1169 – Pipeline Inspector
- API SIEE – Source Inspection Electrical Equipment
- API SIFE – Source Inspection Fixed Equipment
- API SIRE – Source Inspection Rotating Equipment
- API QUPA – Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners (Phased Array)
- API QUSE – Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners (Sizing)
- API QUSE-PA – Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners (Crack Sizing)
- API QUTE – Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners (Detection)
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
ICP Program Support: 202-682-8064 (8:30am - 4:30pm EST)
American Petroleum Institute
200 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
ICP Portal Technical Support: 877-562-5187 or ICPHelpdesk@api.org