Stop Work Authority
As part of the oil and gas industry, workers have a personal responsibility to assure the safety of themselves and those around them. They should STOP WORK at the jobsite if they think the working conditions or behaviors are unsafe. For more detailed information on the STOP WORK authority and other safety practices, check out API WorkSafe training and relevant API safety standards.
Download/Print Rules to Live By Booklet
- Safety is and will always be the Industry’s primary focus.
- As part of the oil and gas industry, you have a duty to work in a safe manner.
- You have a personal responsibility to assure the safety of yourself and those around you.
- Safety and safe practices should always be forefront when carrying out your job functions.
- All workers have “stop work authority”.
- Stop and ask questions when in doubt about the safety of any operations.
- Stop work at the jobsite if the working conditions or behaviors are considered unsafe.
- If you are discouraged from exercising the “stop work authority” or are penalized for doing so, report this action to management immediately.