API QUPA - Ultrasonic Testing Examiners (Phased Array)
Are you qualified to take the API QUPA exam?
The API Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners certification programs (QUTE, QUSE, QUPA, QUSE-PA, and QUTE-TM) are open to any applicant that currently holds a Level II or above in one or more of the following: ASNT, CGSB, PCN, or any other ISO 9712 accredited NDE certification. The minimum experience required MUST be documented on your application.
Candidates will need to successfully complete a performance demonstration examination for their specific program.
- The API QUPA Ultrasonic Testing Examiners (Phased Array) certification exam focuses on the detection and characterization of defects associated with welds in carbon steel or low alloy materials. In particular, defect population may include porosity, lack of fusion, incomplete penetration, center line cracking, root cracks, side wall crack, toe crack, slag, or placebos.
- This exam covers plate and pipe geometries in the 0.5 to 1-inch thickness range.
- For the plate geometry, both single and double Vee welds are included.
- On the 8 and 12 inch pipe geometry, only single Vee welds are included. Approximately 75 linear inches of weld are presented for inspection and documentation.
- The candidate will be expected to detect flaws, position them with respect to the weld, identify and sketch the flaw position within the weld.
- Please review all documentation below prior to exam day, which include:
- Samples' geometry and presentation
- Blank exam forms
- Grading criteria
- Equipment requirements
- Required paperwork
- Other FAQs
Exam Report Forms
View the forms below that will be used during the exam. API strongly encourages candidates to review these forms in preparation for the QUPA exam.
- QUPA Calibration Data Sheet
- QUPA Equipment Inventory List
- QUPA Single V Report Form
- QUPA Double V Report Form
- Examinations for the Ultrasonic Testing Examiners programs are administered using the hands-on, performance demonstration testing method.
- The test is conducted over a 1 day, 8-hour period at the following locations:
- Houston (CPET) - SJC Center for Petrochemical, Energy & Technology
- Brazil - CEQ Abendi (Centro de Exames de Qualificação)
- Proper attire - Please note that both CPET and the Brazil exam center requires all API exam candidates to wear long pants, shirts with sleeves, and closed toe shoes (steel-toed recommended). Also, remember to bring any PPE that may be required by exam-specific guidelines.
- Houston: When you arrive at CPET, park in the front in any spot that is not labeled "Visitor" or "Faculty". Enter through the main entrance of the building (look for the flag poles). Once inside, you will be given a parking permit to place on your dashboard for the duration of your visit.
- Brazil: When you arrive at Bestpark (Avenida Onze de Junho, 1070), request a stamp on receipt at the ABENDI reception to receive a special parking price.
- QUPA Candidate Orientation - English / Portuguese
- The certification term for API Ultrasonic Testing Examiners is three years.
- Full testing is required for recertification every 6 years.
- You may apply for recertification 90 days prior to the certification expiration date. Apply online in the ICP Portal.
- API also allows a 90-day grace period for submitting a recertification application. Late fees will apply.
- If an application is not submitted by the end of the 90-day grace period, the certification will expire. A new application and fees must be submitted, and the candidate must pass a full examination in order to be recertified.
- Circumstances such as heavy work schedule or work in other countries or remote areas do not relieve the inspector/examiner of the responsibility to file a timely renewal application.
The availability of high quality and accurate Ultrasonic Testing (UT) data is often the cornerstone for FFS and RBI decisions, and it is becoming increasingly important for those applications. Therefore in the industry’s best interest, API implemented a Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners certification program to assist in defining the minimum criteria for assessing the performance of UT technicians.
Exams for these programs are administered differently than other ICP certifications. They utilize the hands-on, performance demonstration testing method.
Certifications included in this program are:
- QUTE (Detection)
- QUPA (Phased Array)
- QUSE (Sizing)
- QUSE-PA (Crack Sizing)
- QUTE-TM (Thickness Measurement)
- LSP (Long Seam Pipeline)
API Ultrasonic Testing Examiners certifications are valid for three-year terms.