API QUSE-PA - Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners (Crack Sizing)
Are You Qualified To Take The API QUSE-PA Exam?
The API Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners certification programs (QUTE, QUSE, QUPA, QUSE-PA and QUTE-TM) are open to any applicant with a current or previous certification in ASNT UT Level II, Level III, or equivalent. The minimum experience required MUST be documented on your application.
Candidates will need to successfully complete a performance demonstration examination for their specific program.
- The API QUSE-PA Ultrasonic Testing Examiners (Sizing) certification exam addresses equipment and sizing evaluation techniques for crack height sizing. The designed procedure provides guidelines and techniques for ultrasonic sizing of planar cracks which originate at the opposite side of the scanning surface or the inside diameter. This procedure is applicable to carbon steel material thickness from 0.375 inches to 1.0 inches.
- The Ultrasonic Phased Array Crack Sizing Procedure document (API-UT-11 below) outlines the requirements for contact phased array crack sizing methods using refracted longitudinal wave and shear wave techniques for carbon steel materials. These sizing techniques are applicable to manual examinations only.
- The API 510 Pressure Vessel and API 570 Piping inspection codes have been modified to identify certain applications requiring the use of ultrasonic testing shear wave examiners that have passed a performance demonstration.
- The candidate will be expected to size inside surface breaking cracks and report their maximum crack heights from the ID surface.
- Please review all documentation below prior to exam day, which includes:
- Samples' geometry and presentation
- Testing procedures
- Blank forms for exam day
- Grading criteria
- Required paperwork
- Other FAQs
Test Procedures and Exam Report Forms
- API-UT-11 - Defines the recommended methods and techniques for ultrasonic crack sizing.
- View the forms below that will be used during the exam. API strongly encourages candidates to review these forms in preparation for the QUSE-PA exam:
- Examinations for the Ultrasonic Testing Examiners programs are administered using the hands-on, performance demonstration testing method.
- The test is conducted over a 1 day, 8-hour period at the SJC Center for Petrochemcial, Energy and Technology in Pasadena, Texas.
- QUSE-PA Candidate Orientation
- Proper attire - Please note that CPET requires all API exam candidates to wear long pants, shirts with sleeves, and closed toe shoes (steel-toed recommended). Also, remember to bring any PPE that may be required by exam-specific guidelines.
- When you arrive at CPET, park in the front in any spot that is not labeled "Visitor" or "Faculty". Enter through the main entrance of the building (look for the flag poles). Once inside, you will be given a parking permit to place on your dashboard for the duration of your visit.
- The certification term for API Ultrasonic Testing Examiners is three years.
- Full testing is required for recertification every 6 years.
- You may apply for recertification 90 days prior to the certification expiration date. Apply online in the ICP Portal.
- API also allows a 90-day grace period for submitting a recertification application. Late fees will apply.
- If an application is not submitted by the end of the 90-day grace period, the certification will expire. A new application and fees must be submitted, and the candidate must pass a full examination in order to be recertified.
- Circumstances such as a heavy work schedule or work in other countries or remote areas do not relieve the inspector/examiner of the responsibility to file a timely renewal application.
The availability of high quality and accurate Ultrasonic Testing (UT) data is often the cornerstone for FFS and RBI decisions, and it is becoming increasingly important for those applications. Therefore in the industry's best interest, API implemented a Qualification of Ultrasonic Testing Examiners certification program to assist in defining the minimum criteria for assessing the performance of UT technicians.
Exams for these programs are administered differently that other ICP certifications. They utlilize the hands-on performance demonstration testing method.
Certifications included in this program are:
- QUTE (Detection)
- QUPA (Phased Array)
- QUSE (Sizing)
- QUSE-PA (Crack Sizing)
- QUTE-TM (Thickness Measurement)
- Long Seam Pipeline (LSP)
API Ultrasonic Testing Examiners certifications are valid for three-year terms.