API Specification 5L, 46th Edition
We are pleased to announce the publication of the 46th edition of Specification 5L, Line Pipe. This new edition provides technical updates that have reached consensus within API’s Subcommittee on Tubular Goods and will now give industry consistent practices in these respective areas of the standard. These updates are reflective of API’s standards program mission to provide a forum for development of consensus-based industry standards, and technical cooperation to improve the industry’s safety performance and competitiveness.
- Updated and expanded requirements for mill jointers (differentiate between double-jointers and mill jointers; avoid welding consumables environmental contamination; require qualification standards; new process testing requirements; clarify offset and undercut requirements; standardize marking requirements; reference weld repair annex);
- Updated requirements for pipe end squareness;
- Updated requirements for hardness testing on PSL 2 pipe for sour service and PSL 2 pipe for offshore service;
- New annex for strain-based design requirements (PSL 2 pipe for applications requiring longitudinal plastic strain capacity)
Effective Date and Program Implications
The Monogram Program effective date will be November 1, 2018.
Current licensees shall ensure that products manufactured on and after November 1st, 2018 meet the requirements of API 5L 46th edition in order to be monogrammed.
Also, effective November 1st, 2018, API 5L audits will be conducted to the 46th edition of the document.
Specification 5L is available on API’s new Compass Platform. A Compass subscription gives you organization-wide, 24/7 access to all of the API standards and specifications you need to ensure, safety, compliance and interoperability. With a subscription on Compass, you are ensured consistent and up-to-date access to the latest API standards. For additional information please use the e-mail email@example.com.
- The subscription updates itself, so your subscription automatically reflects the latest edition
- 24/7 desktop access to critical information for all users at the licensed location
- Version comparison to quickly identify critical changes
- The ability to collaborate internally within the standard
Subscribe with the API Monogram Web Store (link:https://www.astm.org/api-store/)
Additional Information and Questions
The companion video, highlighting key changes and the implications for API Monogram licensees, is now available. Register now to gain access to the video.
API receives numerous inquiries related to its standards, specifications, recommended practices, technical reports and codes (i.e. documents). While we can provide answers to many of these questions, there are certain categories of queries to which API cannot provide assistance. We use the terms “General and Technical Questions,” and “Requests for Interpretation” to describe the typical categories of questions we receive. The information below will help you understand what type of questions we can answer and how to go about submitting your question to us for consideration.
Please carefully read the guidelines for submission on the web page’s tabs prior to submitting your request for interpretation. If you are ready to submit your interpretation request, please visit the RFI website here: