Applications & Exams
- Each new application is valid for a period of 12 months from the date of the first examination date requested by the applicant. After the 12-month period the application will expire, regardless of the number of exams scheduled or taken. If the applicant does not obtain a certification within this period of time and still wishes to obtain the certification, they must start the application process again, including re-submission of a full fee and a new application.
- Exam Appointments:
- If you fail to schedule an exam appointment for your selected testing window, you will need to submit another application and additional fees will apply.
- Prometric, API's exam administration vendor, charges a fee of $70 (payable directly to them) when an exam appointment is rescheduled or cancelled on their website within 5-29 days prior to an existing exam appointment.
- You may not reschedule or cancel an exam less than five (5) days before a current exam appointment.
- You may not change an exam to a new testing window after your exam is scheduled with Prometric. You will need to submit another application and additional fees will apply.
- Exception: Results for the Ultrasonic Testing performance demonstration exams are emailed from API approximately 4-6 weeks after the exam session.
- Print copies of your certificates and wallet cards directly from your API account in the ICP Portal. Select “Certifications” tab at the top of your account and click on the links labeled: “Print Certificate” and “Print Wallet Card.”
- API mails certificates to the preferred mailing address provided by applicants on their ICP applications. API is not responsible for mishandled or undelivered mail.
API Payment Policy
- Applications will not be processed until payment is received and applied.
- All payments need to be made in United States currency and checks drawn from a U.S. bank. Applicants are responsible for all taxes, banking and other service fees, including all applicable withholding taxes.
- Mail checks to: API, P.O. Box 1425, Merrifield, VA 22116-1425 USA
- Send checks by courier services to: API, Attn: Financial Operations Department, 1220 L Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20005-4070 USA
- When paying by electronic/wire transfer:
- Applicants are responsible for all electronic transfer and banking fees.
- Add a $50.00 USD handling fee for electronic payments not drawn on a U.S. bank.
- Reference the ICP invoice number found in your online application.
- Send funds to: TD Bank, 1030 15th St NW, Washington, DC 20005 USA / ABA Routing # 054001725 (ACH) / ABA Routing # 031101266 (Wire) / Credit to American Petroleum Institute, Account # 4251303172, SWIFT: NRTHUS33
API Refund Policy
Refund requests must be submitted to API within three months from the date payment was received by API and prior to the examination window, as set forth below. In order to submit a refund request, you must fill out the form below:
API has a contract with the examination applicant. Therefore, API will only honor refund requests that come directly from the applicant, regardless of whether payment was made by a third party. Requests from said third parties will not be honored.
Refunds will be issued under these circumstances:
- API will refund the initial New Application fee for requests made before the application deadline, minus $100 for processing.
- API will refund 50% of the initial New Application fee for requests made after the application deadline and before the start of the testing window.
- API will refund 100% of a Reschedule Application fee when an applicant submitted a reschedule request then subsequently passed the examination from a previous application.
Refunds will not be issued under these circumstances:
- (Effective January 1, 2018) if applicant is unqualified for a certification for which he or she has applied, or has provided any inaccurate or false information in an application or renewal document.
- if request is made three months or more after the initial payment date.
- if request is made after the applicant has already scheduled an exam date and location with Prometric.
- if applicant does not show up for a scheduled exam.
- if applicant has already taken an exam.
Recertification application fees are nonrefundable.
Reschedule application fees are nonrefundable.
Late application fees are nonrefundable.
Grievances & Appeals
- Challenges and complaints regarding the conditions or environment of test locations must be submitted to API in writing no later than seven business days after the date of the examination. Please email ICPExamCoordinator@api.org. API will investigate the reasons for complaints. However, examination scores will not be adjusted based on complaints about a testing location.
- Challenges regarding the content of examination questions must be submitted during the exam. Each question on the exam will have a comments section where you may enter a challenge. After the examination has been administered, a panel of subject matter experts will review all challenges received and determine their respective merits. In the event that challenges are found valid, the scoring will be adjusted and will be effective for all candidates taking the same exam.
- API does not accept grievances or appeals of the actual examination scores.
- API will not disclose or return the contents of a failed exam or renewal quiz to any applicant.
Copyright Policy & How to Purchase API Publications
- Papers, publications and materials in any form are not allowed into computer testing centers. In cases where applicable codes and standards are allowed into examination rooms, such as at special paper-based exams, API’s Document Policy will be strictly enforced, and unauthorized materials will not be permitted. API will conduct random audits, and illegal copies will be confiscated prior to the exam.
- Purchasing Authorized API Publications:
- Refer to your ICP program’s effectivity sheet for a list of standards and codes that you will need to study for your exam. Copies of these publications can be obtained from the API Publications Store.
- API has an agreement with IHS and Techstreet which allows them to distribute API standards via electronic subscriptions. Companies that have an API subscription may print the relevant ICP documents for their employees only. View the key provisions of the restrictions on printing: API Document Policy
As of January 1, 2016 API and ASME documents for the API 510, 570 and 653 exams are no longer offered as "packages." Please continue to refer to your program’s Publications Effectivity Sheet and Body of Knowledge, which include information on all codes and standards needed for the examinations.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org