API SIEE - Source Inspector Electrical Equipment
Are you qualified to take the API SIEE exam?
Prior to submitting an application, please use the table below to determine if you qualify to take the API SIEE - Source Inspector Electrical Equipment exam. The minimum experience required MUST be documented on your application and will be verified after your application has been submitted.
|Education Required||Years of Electrical Experience||Types of Electrical Experience (*see details below)|
High School Diploma/GED (equivalent)
High School Diploma/GED (equivalent) + SIFE or SIRE
4-year Military Experience
(Dishonorable discharge disqualifies credit)
|2-year Electrical/Electronic Technology degree/certificate||3 years||
|4-year Military Experience with 2 years of Electrical/Electronic MOS (Military operations specialty code)
(Dishonorable discharge disqualifies credit)
|BS in Electrical/Electronic Engineering||2 years||
1. Electrical Inspection - Oil & Gas, power, nuclear, military, commercial, residential, utility, industrial inspection
- Electrical skid mounted equipment
- Medium voltage switchgears
- Electrical induction motors 500 HP and larger
2. Non-inspection Electrical Experience - Oil & Gas, power, nuclear, military, commercial, residential, utlility, industrial experience
- Electricians working in power plants including nuclear, fossil fuels and renewables
- Electrical engineers and technicians with manufacturing, construction, maintenance or commissioning experience, with a focus on electrical/industrial power
- Licensed Electrical Journeyman
- Licensed Master Electrician
- Experience working with transformers and switchgears
- Includes: Traction Power Technician, Substation Engineer, Relay Engineer/Technician, Groundman, Electrical-Industrial Journeyman, Electrical Testing & Commissioning Specialist
- Excludes: Lineman, Power Line Technician, Journeyman Lineman, Line Installers and Repairers, unassigned lineman (UAL), Line Mechanic
3. General Inspection with some Electrical Experience - skid packages, definable experience with electrical
- Source Inspectors of Fixed or Rotating Equipment with Electrical Experience
1. Studying For The Exam
- Publications Effectivity Sheet - Questions on the API SIEE exam are derived from publications listed in this document.
- API SIEE Publications Effectivity Sheet from November 2020 - 2021 exams
- Refer to the API SIEE Study Guide for the specific topics included in the exam
- Study Guide for the Source Inspection of Electrical Equipment through 2021 exams
2. Exam Structure
- The API SIEE exam is 3.25 hours long.
- There are 110 questions, of which only 100 are scored. The remaining are pretest, which are not scored. All multiple-choice and closed-book.
- Paper and reference materials are not allowed into the examinations.
3. Additional Resources
- The certification term for API SIEE - Source Inspector Electrical Equipment is three years.
- At this time, employment verification is not required to recertify.
- You may apply for recertification 90 days prior to the certification expiration date. Apply online in the ICP Portal.
- API also allows a 90-day grace period for submitting a recertification application. Late fees will apply.
- If an application is not submitted by the end of the 90-day grace period, the certification will expire. A new application and fees must be submitted, and the candidate must pass a full examination in order to be recertified.
- Circumstances such as heavy work schedule or work in other countries or remote areas do not relieve the inspector/examiner of the responsibility to file a timely renewal application.
The API Source Inspector programs qualify individuals who perform the important task of quality surveillance of materials, equipment and fabrications at the supplier/vendor level in the oil, petrochemical and gas industries. Inspectors act on behalf of purchasers to:
- Examine fabricated and manufactured equipment and materials at a supplier’s facility
- Confirm that the supplier’s quality management system is being utilized effectively
SIEE - Source Inspector Electrical Equipment. This certification will cover inspection of electrical material and equipment, such as:
- Junction Boxes
- Control Panels
- Electrical Systems
- Motor Control Centers
- Electric Motors (over 500 HP)
Prequalification is required.
The API SIEE certification is valid for a three-year term.
Other Source Inspector Certifications:
- SIFE - Source Inspector Fixed Equipment focuses primarily on pressure containing equipment and structural equipment.
- SIRE - Source Inspector Rotating Equipment focuses primarily on Rotating Equipment, including but not limited to: pumps, gears, compressors, turbines and associated appurtenances.