API SIRE - Source Inspector Rotating Equipment
Are you qualified to take the API SIRE exam?
The API SIRE - Source Inspector Rotating Equipment certification is open to applicants with any experience in the petroleum and petrochemical industries, as well as applicants wanting to gain industry experience.
To obtain an API SIRE certification, candidates will need to pass the Source Inspector Rotating Equipment examination.
Questions on the API SIRE exam are derived from the publications listed in the Effectivity Sheet.
API SIRE Publications Effectivity Sheet (For July 2019 - March 2020 exams)
Refer to the API SIRE Study Guide for the specific topics included in the exam.
- The API SIRE exam is 3.25 hours long.
- There are 110 questions, of which only 100 are scored. The remaining 10 are pretest, which are not scored. All questions are multiple-choice and closed-book. Paper and reference materials are not allowed into the examinations.
- The certification term for API SIRE - Source Inspector Rotating Equipment is three years.
- At this time, employment verification is not required to recertify.
- You may apply for recertification 90 days prior to the certification expiration date. Apply online in the ICP Portal.
- API also allows a 90-day grace period for submitting a recertification application. Late fees will apply.
- If an application is not submitted by the end of the 90-day grace period, the certification will expire. A new application and fees must be submitted, and the candidate must pass a full examination in order to be recertified.
- Circumstances such as heavy work schedule or work in other countries or remote areas do not relieve the inspector/examiner of the responsibility to file a timely renewal application.
The API Source Inspector programs qualify individuals who perform the important task of quality surveillance of materials, equipment and fabrications at the supplier/vendor level in the oil, petrochemical and gas industries. Inspectors act on behalf of purchasers to:
- Examine fabricated and manufactured equipment and materials at a supplier’s facility
- Confirm that the supplier’s quality management system is being utilized effectively
API SIRE - Source Inspector Rotating Equipment is the second certification in the Source Inspector Suite. This certification, developed in cooperation with industry experts, focuses primarily on Rotating Equipment, including but not limited to: pumps, gears, compressors, turbines and associated appurtenances.
Other Source Inspector Certifications:
- SIFE - Source Inspector Fixed Equipment was the first of the ICP SI certifications. This program focuses primarily on pressure containing equipment and structural equipment.
- The SIEE - Source Inspector Electrical Equipment covers inspection of electrical material and equipment.