American Energy Boosts World Supplies, Drives Economic Growth
Posted March 14, 2014
Surge in Oil from U.S., Canada Helps Meet Global Demand
Wall Street Journal: LONDON—The dramatic increase in oil supply from the U.S. and Canada—coupled with a surprise surge in Iraqi output—helped stave off global demand pressures brought on by a cold U.S. winter and geopolitical concerns over rising tensions between Russia and Ukraine.
The International Energy Agency, a watchdog for the world's biggest energy consumers, said North American output helped mitigate a bigger-than-expected draw from global crude inventories, caused by a colder than usual winter in the U.S. Surging Iraqi crude output, which rose to its highest level since 1979, also helped keep global markets supplied, and prices in check.
In recent years, new drilling and extraction techniques employed across North America—from shale-oil deposits in Texas to oil-sands reserves in Alberta—have boosted global supply. That is helped steady global prices, acting as a sort of shock absorber amid big, recent output disruptions.
Read more: http://on.wsj.com/1eBfPlx
More industry news:
- A Boom in Oil is a Boon for U.S. Shipbuilding Industry: http://n.pr/1iKAUBu
- Pipe Mill Promises 80 New Jobs for Ohioans: http://bit.ly/1gjM8oL
- Krauthammer: How to Stop – or Slow – Putin: http://wapo.st/1cGysck
- 16 Percent of Natural Gas in Europe Flows Through Ukraine: http://1.usa.gov/1eBfzTE
- Sen. Landrieu Steps up Pressure on Kerry to Clear Keystone XL Pipeline: http://on.wsj.com/1fY3uxd
- Looking for Shale Gas, They Found Godzilla’s Nemesis: http://bit.ly/1fG30uz
About The Author
Mary Schaper is a Digital Communications Manager for the American Petroleum Institute. She previously worked on Capitol Hill for the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee as Digital Director and for Senator Lisa Murkowski. Before coming to D.C., she spearheaded digital strategy for Murkowski's successful Senate write-in campaign in 2010. Schaper enjoys traveling and taking in the local culture alongside her husband, their son and loyal springer spaniel.
- Natural Gas, Our Air and Our Modern Lifestyles
- Hoops - Higher, Faster, Better Thanks to Energy
- Shifting Into Drive, Powering Past Impossible
- ‘Power Past Impossible’ Hits New York’s Times Square
- Supporting the Greater Good in Our Communities
- Natural Gas, Oil and Animal Orthotics: Making the Impossible Possible
Stay informed: Sign-up for our weekly newsletter