Rising Energy Production, Rising Economic Benefits
Posted August 12, 2014
Democrats Increasingly Backing Oil and Gas Industry
Wall Street Journal (subscription required): When House Republicans took up a measure to speed the government's reviews of applications to export natural gas, a move long sought by energy companies, the unexpected happened: The bill won "yes" votes from 47 Democrats.
The bill's sponsor, Rep. Cory Gardner (R., Colo.), anticipated some Democratic backing, but not that much. Rep. Steve Israel of New York, who leads the Democrats' House campaign arm, was a yes, as was House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer of Maryland. Both voted in 2012 to restrict oil and gas exports.
The energy boom is shaping a new kind of Democrat in national politics, lawmakers who are giving greater support to the oil and gas industry even at the risk of alienating environmental groups, a core of the party's base. The trend comes as oil-and-gas production moves beyond America's traditionally energy-rich states, a development that also is increasing U.S. geopolitical influence abroad.
Read more: http://on.wsj.com/1rnubwN
More industry news:
- EIA: U.S. Oil Output from Major Shale Plays to Rise 89,000 bpd in September: http://reut.rs/1pMFWh2
- U.S. June Crude Oil Exports Highest Since 1957: http://reut.rs/1vDwvq3
- Nebraska Court Ruling on Keystone XL Pipeline Not Expected Until 2015: http://reut.rs/1oHl1It
- Dallas Fed: Thanks to Energy, Texas’ Economic Growth Sped Up in Second Quarter: http://bit.ly/1kyRVjg
- Ohio Shale Production up Ten Fold Since 2012: http://bit.ly/1nMf38Z
About The Author
Mary Schaper is a Digital Communications Manager for the American Petroleum Institute. She previously worked on Capitol Hill for the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee as Digital Director and for Senator Lisa Murkowski. Before coming to D.C., she spearheaded digital strategy for Murkowski's successful Senate write-in campaign in 2010. Schaper enjoys traveling and taking in the local culture alongside her husband, their son and loyal springer spaniel.
- Natural Gas, Our Air and Our Modern Lifestyles
- Hoops - Higher, Faster, Better Thanks to Energy
- Shifting Into Drive, Powering Past Impossible
- ‘Power Past Impossible’ Hits New York’s Times Square
- Supporting the Greater Good in Our Communities
- Natural Gas, Oil and Animal Orthotics: Making the Impossible Possible