API 570 - Piping Inspector
Are you qualified to take the API 570 exam?
As outlined in the Annex A of the API 570 Standard, the qualification requirements for API 570 Piping inspector certification are based on the combination of education and experience related to in-service metallic piping systems. This experience must have been acquired within the last 10 years while employed by, or under contract with, an authorized inspection agency as defined in API 570.
Prior to submitting an application, please use the table below to determine if you qualify to take the API 570 exam. The minimum experience required MUST be documented on your application and will be verified after your application has been submitted.
|Education||Years of Experience||Experience Required|
|BS or higher in engineering or technology||1 year||Supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 570|
|2-year degree or certificate in engineering or technology||2 years||Design, construction, repair, operation, or inspection of in-service piping systems, of which one year must be in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 570|
|High school diploma or equivalent||3 years||Design, construction, repair, operation, or inspection of in-service piping systems, of which one year must be in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 570|
|No formal education||5 or more years||Design, construction, repair, operation, or inspection of in-service piping systems, of which one year must be in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 570.|
Questions on the API 570 Piping Inspector Certification exam are derived from the publications listed in the Publications Effectivity Sheet.
- Only the specific sections of publications that are listed on the Effectivity Sheet will be available to you during the open-book portion of the exam.
API 570 Publications Effectivity Sheet For 2019 - February 2020 Exams
Refer to the Body of Knowledge for the specific topics included in the API 570 examination.
API 570 Body of Knowledge For 2019 - February 2020 Exams
The API 570 exam day is 7.5 hours long, and includes a short tutorial session, 2.75 hours for the closed-book portion, a 45-minute lunch break, and 3.75 hours for the open-book section. There are 110 closed-book questions and 60 open-book questions.
Papers and books are not allowed in Prometric computer testing centers. PDF documents of pertinent codes and standards will be available on your computer during the open book portion of the exam, and will be presented in English. The tutorial below will help you navigate through these documents.
There are 170 questions on the API 570 exam, of which only 140 are scored. The remaining 30 are pretest questions.
Examination Policies & Notifications: Policies
Purchasing Authorized API Publications: API Publications Store
- API 570 Piping inspectors need to apply for recertification every three (3) years. Apply online in the ICP Portal.
- You may apply for recertification 90 days prior to the certification expiration date, and for a 90-day grace period after. Late fees apply after the expiration date.
- If an application is not submitted by the end of the 90-day grace period, the certification will expire. A new application and fees must be submitted, and you will need to pass a full examination in order to be recertified.
- Circumstances such as heavy work schedule or work in other countries or remote areas do not relieve the inspector/examiner of the responsibility to file a timely renewal application.
- Inspectors who have not been actively engaged in piping inspection practices will be required to take the full examination.
API 570 Recertification Web Quiz
API 570 Recertification Publications Effectivity Sheet - (Valid beginning March 1, 2018)
- API 570 Piping inspectors are required to take an on-line, open-book quiz every six years in order to recertify.
- The quiz is available 90 days prior to your expiration date and for a grace period of 90 days after. The quiz will not be available beyond this grace period, or after your certification has expired.
- You may take the quiz either before or after you submit your recertification application.
To take your recertification quiz, or to determine if a quiz is needed for your current certification, log into your account in the ICP Portal. If a web quiz is due, there will be a notification at the top of your 570 certification page with a link that will take you to the quiz. You may also go directly to the Web Quiz Gateway. If a quiz is needed, you will see a notification in bold red stating that a quiz is required.
NOTE: Your Web Quiz log is the same username and password that you use to log into your account in the ICP Portal.
- Each quiz has 25 questions that address the changes in the relevant API codes over the past six years.
- You have a total of four hours to complete the quiz, and it may be paused or interrupted up to three times.
- If you fail the quiz once you will be able to take it again. If you fail the quiz a second time you will not be able to recertify. You will need to submit a new application and take the full version of the exam to certify again.
Please contact Inspector@api.org if you have trouble with your quiz.
Certified API 570 Piping inspectors must have a broad knowledge base relating to maintenance, inspection, alteration and repair of in-service metallic piping systems. The API 570 examination is designed to determine if applicants have such knowledge.This certification program benefits employers and the industry as a whole by helping to:
- Provide a continued high level of safety through the use of inspectors specialized in process piping
- Improve management control of process unit inspection, repair, alteration and rerating
- Reduce the potential for inspection delays resulting from regulatory requirements
API 570 certification is valid for a three-year term.