API 936 - Refractory Personnel
Are you qualified to take the API 936 exam?
The API 936 Refractory Personnel certification is open to applicants with any experience in the petroleum and petrochemical industries, as well as applicants wanting to gain industry experience.
To obtain an API 936 certification, candidates will need to pass the 936 Refractory Personnel examination.
The API 936 Refractory Personnel certification candidate must have knowledge of installation, inspection, testing and repair of refractory linings.
- Quality Control
- Physical Property Requirements
- Inspection Documentation
- Material Qualification Testing
- Applicator Qualification Testing
- As-installed Testing
- Test Specimen Preparation
- Test Procedures
- Post Installation
Questions on the API 936 examination are derived from the publications listed in the Effectivity Sheet. At a minimum, the examination covers the following criteria defined by API STD 936 Refractory Installation Quality Control Guidelines – Inspection and Testing Monolithic Refractory Linings and Materials, as well as other reference materials listed on the program’s Effectivity Sheet.
API 936 Publications Effectivity Sheet For January - December 2018 exams
Refer to the API 936 Body of Knowledge for the specific topics included in the examination.
API 936 Body of Knowledge For January - December 2018 exams
- The API 936 exam is 3.25 hours long.
- There are 75 questions, all multiple-choice and closed-book. Paper and reference materials are not allowed into the examinations.
Updated Surpass Exam Tutorial coming soon.
- The certification term for API 936 Refractory Personnel is three years.
- At this time, employment verification is not required to recertify.
- You may apply for recertification 90 days prior to the certification expiration date. Apply online in the ICP Portal.
- API also allows a 90-day grace period for submitting a recertification application. Late fees will apply.
- If an application is not submitted by the end of the 90-day grace period, the certification will expire. A new application and fees must be submitted, and the candidate must pass a full examination in order to be recertified.
- Circumstances such as heavy work schedule or work in other countries or remote areas do not relieve the inspector/examiner of the responsibility to file a timely renewal application.
API 936 Recertification Web Quiz (Effective June 1, 2018)
API 936 Recertification Publications Effectivity Sheet (Valid beginning June 1, 2018)
- Certified API 936 Refractory personnel are required to take an online, open-book quiz every six years in order to recertify.
- The quiz is available 90 days prior to your expiration date and for a grace period of 90 days after. The quiz will not be available beyond this grace period, or after your certification has expired.
- You may take the quiz either before or after you submit your recertification application.
- To take your recertification quiz, or to determine if a quiz is needed for your current certification, log into your account in the ICP Portal. If a web quiz is due, there will be a notification at the top of your 936 certification page with a link that will take you to the quiz. You may also go directly to the Web Quiz Gateway. If a quiz is needed, you will see a notification in bold red stating that a quiz is required.
NOTE: Your Web Quiz log is the same username and password that you use to log into your account in the ICP Portal.
- Each quiz has 25 questions that address the changes in the relevant API codes over the past six years.
- You have a total of four hours to complete the quiz, and it may be paused or interrupted up to three times.
- If you fail the quiz once you will be able to take it again. If you fail the quiz a second time you will not be able to recertify. You will need to submit a new application and take the full version of the exam to certify again.
Please contact Inspector@api.org if you have trouble with your quiz.
The API 936 Refractory Personnel certification is designed to identify candidates possessing the knowledge of API STD 936 Refractory Installation Quality Control Guidelines. These are guidelines for the installation quality control of monolithic refractory linings and may be used to supplement owner specifications.
API 936 certification raises the bar of competence for qualified personnel, who must have knowledge of installation, inspection, testing and repair of refractory linings. It provides the industry with a prequalified set of individuals prepared for the job and readily identifies those who are qualified to do the job.
API 936 certification is valid for a three-year term.