Recommended Practice 754
Process Safety Performance Indicators for the Refining and Petrochemical Industries
In August 2021, API published the third edition of API Recommended Practice (RP) 754, Process Safety Performance Indicators for the Refining and Petrochemical Industries. RP-754 identifies leading and lagging process safety indicators useful for driving performance improvement. As a framework for measuring activity, status or performance, this document classifies process safety indicators into four tiers of leading and lagging indicators. Tiers 1 and 2 are suitable for nationwide public reporting and Tiers 3 and 4 are intended for internal use at individual facilities. Guidance on methods for development and use of performance indicators is also provided.
This RP was developed for the refining and petrochemical industries, but may also be applicable to other industries with operating systems and processes where loss of containment has the potential to cause harm (see note). Applicability is not limited to those facilities covered by the OSHA Process Safety Management Standard, 29 CFR 1910.119 (page 118), or similar national and international regulations.
NOTE: To enable consistent application of this RP to other refining and petrochemical industry sub segments, informative annexes have been created to define the Applicability and Process definition for those sub segments. The user would substitute the content of those annexes for the referenced sections of this RP: Annex A—Petroleum Pipeline and Terminal Operation, Annex B—Retail Service Stations, Annex C—Oil and Gas Drilling and Production Operations.
3rd Edition | August 2021
To better understand RP 754 and process safety indicators, API has provided several resources:
General Reference Material
- API RP 754 Fact Sheet – More detailed information on ANSI/API RP 754
Resources for Submitting Data
- Excel spreadsheet – Submission spreadsheet for current year
- Guide to Reporting PSE Version 4.1 – Guide to aid companies in submitting Process Safety Event (PSE) data
- API PSE Portal – Access is limited to companies that participate in the Annual PSE Survey of Refining and Petrochemical sites
- Past 754 Interpretation Questions – Questions and answers related to 754 incident classification
- 754 Webinars – Past API/AFPM webinars related to RP 754
Process Safety Data
- 2018-2022 PSE Data – Summary API RP 754 PSE data submitted to API
RP 754, 3rd edition is available for purchase at the API Publication Store.
Stay up-to-date on all API standards and share recommended practices like RP 753 across an organization with API's subscription service, Compass.