Recommended Practice 754
Process Safety Performance Indicators for the Refining and Petrochemical Industries
In April 2016, API published the second edition of API Recommended Practice (RP) 754, Process Safety Performance Indicators for the Refining and Petrochemical Industries. RP-754 identifies leading and lagging process safety indicators useful for driving performance improvement. As a framework for measuring activity, status or performance, this document classifies process safety indicators into four tiers of leading and lagging indicators. Tiers 1 and 2 are suitable for nationwide public reporting and Tiers 3 and 4 are intended for internal use at individual facilities. Guidance on methods for development and use of performance indicators is also provided.
This RP was developed for the refining and petrochemical industries, but may also be applicable to other industries with operating systems and processes where loss of containment has the potential to cause harm (see note). Applicability is not limited to those facilities covered by the OSHA Process Safety Management Standard, 29 CFR 1910.119, or similar national and international regulations. Pages: 118
2nd Edition | April 2016
To better understand RP 754 and process safety indicators, API has provided several resources:
- For more detailed information on ANSI/API RP 754, download the Fact Sheet.
- A series webinars has been provided since the publication of the first version of the document; view webinars.
- (FAQs) have been compiled and grouped by topic.
- To aid companies in submitting Process Safety Event (PSE) data, the Guide to Reporting PSE Version 3.0 and the Excel spreadsheet are provided.
- Safety data is published in the annual The Survey Of Occupational Injuries, Illnesses And Fatalities In The Petroleum Industry (OII) report, which can be purchased here. Additionally, a summary of the 2013-2017 PSE data can be found here.
Please contact one of API's standards redistributors to purchase the document.