API SIFE - Source Inspector Fixed Equipment
This exam can now be scheduled either at in-person test centers or through remote proctoring.The API Source Inspector certification program was developed in cooperation with industry experts. It qualifies individuals (employees of end-users and individual contractors) who perform the important task of supplier quality surveillance. The Source Inspector has been defined as the individual responsible for:
- Examining fabricated and manufactured equipment and materials at a supplier’s facility
- Confirming that the supplier’s quality management system is being utilized effectively
API SIFE - Source Inspector Fixed Equipment focuses primarily on pressure containing equipment and structural equipment, including: vessels, columns/towers, heat exchangers, piping, valves, pressure relief devices, tubulars, and associated structural fabrications.
The API SIFE certification is valid for a three-year term.
1. Studying For The Exam
- The API SIFE Source Inspector Fixed Equipment certification exam tests the applicant’s core knowledge in relevant standards/codes, inspection reference documents, source inspection practices, manufacturing processes, and inspection tools and methods. The focus of the exam is on source inspection issues and activities rather than design or engineering knowledge contained in the reference standards.
- Publications Effectivity Sheet - Questions on the API SIFE exam are derived from the publications listed in this document.
- API SIFE Publications Effectivity Sheet - valid through August 2023 exams
- Refer to the API SIFE Study Guide for the specific topics included in the exam.
2. Exam Structure
- The API SIFE exam is 3.25 hours long.
- There are 110 questions, of which only 100 are scored. The remaining 10 are pretest, which are not scored.
- All questions are multiple-choice and closed-book. Paper and reference materials are not allowed into the examinations.
- This exam has a set passing scaled score.
- View the Exam Tutorial before exam day to familiarize yourself with the format.
3. Additional Resources
Other Source Inspector Certifications:
- SIRE - Source Inspector Rotating Equipment focuses primarily on Rotating Equipment.
- SIEE - Source Inspector Electrical Equipment covers inspection of electrical material and equipment.
Are you qualified to take the API SIFE exam?
The API SIFE Source Inspector Fixed Equipment certification is open to applicants with any experience in the petroleum and petrochemical industries, as well as applicants wanting to gain industry experience.
To obtain an API SIFE certification, candidates will need to pass the Source Inspector Fixed Equipment examination.
- The certification term for API SIFE Source Inspector Fixed Equipment is three years.
- At this time, employment verification is not required to recertify.
- You may apply for recertification 90 days prior to the certification expiration date. Apply online in the ICP Portal.
- API also allows a 90-day grace period for submitting a recertification application. Late fees will apply.
- If an application is not submitted by the end of the 90-day grace period, the certification will expire. A new application and fees must be submitted, and the candidate must pass a full examination in order to be recertified.
- Circumstances such as heavy work schedule or work in other countries or remote areas do not relieve the inspector/examiner of the responsibility to file a timely renewal application.