Rights and Usage Policy
Intellectual Property Rights and Usage Policy
The IP Rights of API comprise two types of intellectual property: Copyrights and Trademarks.
- Copyrights: © Copyright API. All Rights Reserved.. Third parties who wish to use these works must receive advance written permission from API. Submit permission requests via the Request for Permission page;
- Trademarks: Except as indicated, API owns all trademarks, service marks, certification marks and logos featured on this site including the terms "API" and "American Petroleum Institute". Use of these marks without the express written permission of API is expressly prohibited. For details on licensing the AP Monogram/QR and Training certification, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
- Please also refer to API's Terms and Conditions for additional guidelines, including those surrounding the use of the API logo.
Written permission from API must be granted for incorporation of any API-copyrighted material into external materials. This includes reproductions, translations, retrieval system storage, photocopying, recording and transmissions by electronic or mechanical means.
All requests for permission for use of API-copyrighted material must be submitted to API through the Permission Request Form. No requests by phone may be accepted.
- Once API has received all requested information from the requesting party, we will be able to determine whether or not permission will be granted. API will also be able to determine the permission fee that will be implemented, if applicable. Permission fees and other charges will vary depending on use, number of productions, and other factors.
- After all information has been received from the party requesting the use, permission requests typically take approximately 60 days to process; however, if you are working with a specific deadline, please highlight that in your request and API will attempt to meet your needs.
- For those wishing to translate materials or if there are any questions regarding the completion of the Permission Request form or the API permissions process, please contact email@example.com.
API provides the public with online access to nearly 200 key industry standards via our IBR (Incorporated by Reference) Reading Room. These standards cover all aspects of the oil and gas industry, including process safety, refinery and chemical plant operations and equipment, offshore drilling, hydraulic fracturing and well construction, and pipeline safety on welding, and public awareness programs. API’s goal is to provide the public with access to these standards particularly those related to safety, or have been incorporated into federal regulation.
Please view the read-only publications here. (Internet Explorer is the recommended browser for viewing the documents.)
The standards are available for review only. Print and PDF versions continue to be available for purchase at the API Publications Store.