Rights and Usage Policy
Intellectual Property Rights and Usage Policy
This Intellectual Property Rights (IP) and Usage Policy sets forth guidelines for requesting permission to use API-copyrighted material.
The IP Rights of API comprise two types of intellectual property: Copyrights and Trademarks.
- Copyrights: ALL RIGHTS RESERVED American Petroleum Institute © 2016. Third parties who wish to use these works must have advance written permission from API. Contact API by mail at 1220 L Street NW, 9th Floor, Washington, DC 20005; or by email at email@example.com.
- Trademarks: Except as indicated, API owns all trademarks, service marks, certification marks and logos featured on this site including the terms "API" and "American Petroleum Institute". Use of these marks without the express written permission of API is expressly prohibited. For details on licensing the AP Monogram/QR and Training certification, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for additional information.
- Please also refer to API's Terms and Conditions for additional guidelines, including those surrounding the use of the API logo.
All requests for permission must be submitted in writing. For more information on this process, please visit the Request for Permission page.
Citing API-Copyrighted Material
- Proper citation for API-copyrighted material after permission is granted:
- "Reproduced courtesy of the American Petroleum Institute", "Reproduced courtesy of the API", or similar as outlined by API in writing must appear under each figure, table and/or section referenced.
- The API publication number, title, edition and publication year must also be included in the citation.
Written permission from API must be granted for incorporation of any API-copyrighted material into external materials. This includes reproductions, translations, retrieval system storage, photocopying, recording and transmissions by electronic or mechanical means.
All requests for permission for use of API-copyrighted material must be submitted to API either through the online form (link below) or in writing. No requests by phone may be accepted. Please complete the form below or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once API has received all requested information from the requesting party, we will be able to determine whether or not permission will be granted. API will also be able to determine the permission fee that will be implemented, if applicable. Permission fees and other charges will vary depending on use, number of productions, and other factors.
- After all information has been received from the party requesting the use, permission requests typically take approximately 60 days to process; however, if you are working with a specific deadline, please highlight that in your request and API will attempt to meet your needs.
- For those wishing to translate materials or if there are any questions regarding the completion of the Permission Request form or the API permissions process, please contact email@example.com.
API provides the public with online access to nearly 200 key industry standards via our IBR (Incorporated by Reference) Reading Room. These standards cover all aspects of the oil and gas industry, including process safety, refinery and chemical plant operations and equipment, offshore drilling, hydraulic fracturing and well construction, and pipeline safety on welding, and public awareness programs. API’s goal is to provide the public with access to these standards particularly those related to safety, or have been incorporated into federal regulation.
Please view the read-only publications here. (Internet Explorer is the recommended browser for viewing the documents.)
The standards are available for review only. Print and PDF versions continue to be available for purchase at the API Publications Store.