According to the CDC/NIOSH, roadway vehicle incidents are one of the most common causes of deaths in the industry. Workers should devote their full attention to driving when operating a vehicle. Cell phone use or fatigue can interfere with the ability to drive a vehicle in a safe manner. For more detailed information on the driving safely, check out API WorkSafe training and relevant API safety standards.
Download/Print Rules to Live By Booklet
- When operating a vehicle on company
- Operating under the influence of intoxicating beverages or drugs is strictly prohibited.
- Drivers shall maintain a valid driver’s license at all times.
- Inspect the vehicle for proper operating conditions (e.g. tires, horn, mirror alignment, lights, etc.) prior to driving.
- All occupants must wear seatbelts and the driver is responsible for ensuring that all passengers do so.
- Do not park or drive in the blind spot of another vehicle.
- Always drive a safe distance from other vehicles.
- Always abide by the legal speed limit. The speed at which vehicles on company business are driven shall be governed by such factors as traffic regulations, road and weather conditions, traffic density and proximity to schools.
- Picking up hitchhikers is prohibited.
- Drive courteously and defensively.
- Personnel shall devote their full attention to driving when operating a vehicle. Cell phone use or fatigue can interfere with the ability to drive a vehicle in a safe manner.
- If you are involved in a driving incident,
properly report it and handle it according
to the following guidelines:
- Set out emergency reflectors or flares.
- Get help for injured persons.
- Give first aid to the extent that you are trained or qualified.
- Notify police and your supervisor as soon as possible.
- Obtain necessary information at the scene to the best of your ability.